Why Splurging Isn’t Always A Bad Thing

This post may contain affiliate and/or promoted links. Please read our disclosure for more info.

Look, you work hard. So do we. And with the end of year approaching, many of you are probably celebrating some of your financial successes. I know we are. We were able to significantly increase our net worth this year through frugal living, diligent investing, and a little help from the stock market. If you’re shaking your head in agreement because that sounds like your life, you’re going to enjoy this off-the-wall, non-frugal post. Let’s dive in.

Not only am I going to tell you it’s okay to not be frugal at times, I’m also going to tell you it’s okay to spend frivolously – occasionally. Occasionally being the most important word here. Do this too often and you’ll be searching the web for ways in which you can eliminate consumer debt and start your snowball. So with that in mind, tread carefully, my fellow frugal friends!

Luxury Travel

iPad - splurging isn't bad

I splurged on my iPad back in 2012. Never regretted it. Ever.

First of all, let’s take a moment and consider something. If you can afford a shopping spree without affecting your overall bottom line, you need to realize how fortunate you are. Congratulations!

One of the most popular splurges among people who have counted their pennies all year long is a vacation. There are many ways to get away on the cheap, but that’s not what we’re focusing on today.

If you want to travel abroad and experience a different culture, go for it. If, on the other hand, you’re feeling like keeping it in the country, why not try a luxurious place to stay while you’re exploring?

Nestled all around the country are luxury apartments for rent and Airbnb options that’ll blow you away. When you’re out and about during the day seeing new things, one of the best treats is to return to a luxurious place to rest your head at night. In my opinion, it’s the cherry on top.

Splurging | Spending Money | Frugality | Shopping | Shopping Ban | Shopping Spree via @MadMoneyMonsterA few years ago we did this very thing. We hit the road with our super efficient Mazda 3 and drove down the coast to Disney World. And because we’re always watching our money, we were able to splurge on this trip and stay in the nicest of places. Looking back, I wouldn’t change a thing.

Hitting The Shops

Any woman and most men will agree you can’t avoid shopping forever – even if you are under a self-imposed clothes-buying ban. Around here, clothes seem to be the last thing we spend our money on. Although I did break my clothes-buying ban a couple of months ago when I bought some new duds for work. More on that in an upcoming post!

Our financial pecking order usually goes something like this… food, shelter, utilities, insurances, investments, and somewhere way down the line when it’s absolutely necessary is clothes. And I’m talking holes in our socks necessary.

So, if you’re at the threshold of the holes in your socks category, I say it’s perfectly acceptable to go out and splurge on a few new items. Remember, January sales are right around the corner. So if you’re trying to spend AND SAVE, this is the time to do it!

Other articles you might enjoy:

Treating Yourself Or Your Family

Mad Money Cat - splurging isn't bad

Mad Money Cat splurges on hair products. #soworthit

Spending money on ourselves is a wonderful treat, and I definitely advise it for those of us who are constantly trying to cut a corner and save a buck. So by all means, go get yourself that new pair of boots, a new tech gadget, or family vacation. The splurging possibilities are nearly endless!

But spending money on ourselves isn’t always the most rewarding of acts. Not surprisingly, when you splurge on your family or someone else you really care about, the rewards can be out of this world.

I, for example, experience extreme jubilance when I splurge on my daughter and see her face light up. She knows I don’t spend money on things I don’t truly value. So when I spend it on her, she knows it’s special.

So maybe consider skipping yourself and spend that extra dough on someone that means a lot to you instead. You’ll be amazed at how great you feel in the end.

And there you have it, just a few ideas to spend some money – because splurging isn’t always a bad thing. As long as you’re fiscally responsible and mindful of everyday expenses throughout most of the year, you have the green light to let loose! Occasionally. 😉

So tell me, what was your most recent splurge?

Comments on this entry are closed.

• Kristine Dec 24, 2017, 7:46 pm

There is more to life than an accumulation of money. I’m definitely on board with spending on the important things. I enjoy regularly scheduled trips, going out with friends, and all sorts of shenanigans. I’m even more on board with not going into debt to do it, though! 🙂

• Mad Money Monster Dec 26, 2017, 5:43 pm

I agree. If you can do all of those things AND avoid debt, you’re definitey doing something right. 🙂

• Dividend Diplomats Dec 24, 2017, 1:34 pm

Personally, I think this is the definition of being frugal. You save and find ways to make the day to day items as affordable as possible. When you do decide to spend, you are buying a quality experience or item that you know will last for or while or create some kick ass memories. I agree, you should splurge when the time is right! And your scenarios definitely check my boxes for items you would spend on to make sure you are having the best experience possible.

Bert

• Mad Money Monster Dec 26, 2017, 5:42 pm

Yeah, although we’re definitely frugal people, we have no problem spending money on the things that matter most to us. And because we’re mostly frugal, we have the money to do it. Thanks for your comment!

• Jaymee @ Smart Woman Dec 22, 2017, 3:41 pm

This year I splurged quite a bit on myself! I left a 5 year relationship back in March this year and spent the last few months “reinventing and rediscovering” myself – so tons of money spent on a new wardrobe, new single-lady image and money spent on new experiences like travel and adventures with my girlfriends.

I did it all without dipping into debt and I don’t regret spending that money one bit. The way I feel about myself now is priceless.

• Mad Money Monster Dec 26, 2017, 5:41 pm

Oh wow! That is truly money well spent. I went through a similar transformation after ending a long relationship quite a few years back.

I believe reinvention is one of the best things we can do for ourselves. Good for you!

• Jim Dec 22, 2017, 8:05 am

I like to put things I want to buy on a list then just leave it for a month or two. If I still want it after waiting then it becomes an easy splurge 🙂

• Mad Money Monster Dec 22, 2017, 8:30 am

Yes! I do that too. I like adding them to my cart in Amazon and then going back later to see how I feel. Oftentimes, I delete them – but not always. 🙂

• CashflowKat Dec 22, 2017, 8:03 am

It is much easier for me to splurge on others than on myself. I think that is my sentence for spending years being frugal and being a mom! 🙂 Recently, my favorite group ex instructor at the gym, whose class I’ve taken for years, revealed to me that she has a chronic medical condition. Then, last week she said that she and her husband were going to Vegas for a fitness expo and his birthday. I had an idea that I struggled with, but I followed through and gave her an envelope with $200 for a birthday night out in Vegas. I felt unsure because we aren’t friends outside the gym, but I know she doesn’t make much money and is now facing medical bills. After giving her the gift, I felt amazing. So, it’s funny, I would probably have a hard time spending $200 on a night out for myself in Vegas and feeling good about it, but I truly enjoyed splurging on my instructor!

• Mad Money Monster Dec 22, 2017, 8:30 am

That is a wonderful story! Wow, it even made me feel good 🙂 I am in the same boat. I often feel guilty spending money on myself, but spending money on others doesn’t have the same effect. Thanks for sharing that story!

• Dave Dec 22, 2017, 7:11 am

For me, it is all about balance. After the debt is paid and a large percentage of your earnings goes into the various investment accounts, it is ok to spend some money. I was never into being a miser. Too much of a good thing can lead to compulsive behavior. Success should be enjoyed and shared with others.

• Mad Money Monster Dec 22, 2017, 8:12 am

Yeah, I agree. Although we are mostly frugal, we are totally okay with spending money on things we truly value and will bring us happiness.

• Ways To Build Wealth Dec 15, 2017, 6:48 pm

I like to refer to it as being relatively frugal.

• Mad Money Monster Dec 15, 2017, 8:08 pm

Good point 🙂

• FullTimeFinance Dec 15, 2017, 2:21 pm

We splurged on travel recently doing an extra trip beyond normal budgets to Barcelona. No impact to finances of course.

• Mad Money Monster Dec 15, 2017, 2:24 pm

Very nice! We’re considering a few desinations abroad for the no-too-distant future. 🙂