Life Lessons From My Father’s Grave

The year was 2006 and my life was in turmoil. I was breaking up with my long-term boyfriend and leaving our big suburban house with the in-ground pool to move into an empty apartment with 4 lawn chairs and my 2 cats. Up until that moment, I had everything – minus a great relationship. On top of being forced into a Life Reboot at an age I always pictured I would be marrying and starting my family – my dad was dying. His death taught me so much about my life and helped carry me through that dark period. I’ll forever be thankful for his death. His death taught me a little bit about myself and inspired my continued resilience. He continues to teach me life lessons from his grave. I’m willing to bet you have a lost loved one who does the same for you.

Lessons In Simple Living

My dad was a simple man. He was born in 1917 and lived through decades of turbulence, jubilance, and excess. He had a 7th-grade education and did his best to teach himself his various interests throughout his time on this planet.

Bus.jpg

His pride and joy

He was happy as a clam to live a simple, frugal life. His joys came from simple pleasures. He loved spending time with family and friends, eating ice cream, driving his VW bus, and tinkering around in his workshed. He enjoyed making flower beds and maintaining our home. He took delight in watching baseball on TV and having coffee with my mother.

I can remember them having coffee dates before trendy shops were A Thing. They would venture to a local diner and sit for an hour or two just talking to each other about EVERYTHING under the sun. They weren’t spending much money and they were strengthening their bond in the process.

We lived in a tiny trailer home and this is something I didn’t appreciate until recently. I had spent the majority of my 20s and 30s trying to validate my success by getting into a big house. After my now husband and I almost bought that big house we couldn’t comfortably afford, I took a long hard look as to WHY I was putting myself in such a financially compromised position. After all, was it really worth the worry and heart palpitations I was experiencing? Then I remembered how happy and proud my father was to live in our paid off trailer home and how little stress he had because of it. And I remembered how happy I was to live in our trailer home and how I look back at my childhood with nothing but fond memories.

I knew at that moment we had to make changes and live against the grain. We didn’t need that big house to prove anything to anyone. We needed to cancel the contract, stay in our small home, and concentrate on building wealth and living stress-free. I’m certain this is what my dad would tell us to do. I envisioned he would motion with his hand as to shush the idea away and say something like, “Don’t do it, you don’t need that stress. What will it get you? You already have a nice home.” So, I listened.

bud-2

He enjoyed a simpe day watching trains

For my dad, nothing was better than enjoying time at home. He didn’t spend money on traveling. He didn’t spend money on eating out. He didn’t spend money on expensive clothes or fast cars. He didn’t spend money on much of anything. He also never felt deprived. His life was simple and he would’ve had it no other way.

Side Note: I’m not that old; he had me when he was “old” 🙂 There was quite an age difference between my parents and I was born when he was the tender age of 57. Another lesson, you’re NEVER too old. Never.

Lessons In Frugality

My dad lived through The Great Depression and was risk averse as a result. He didn’t know anything about building wealth, but he did know that living below his means meant living stress-free. I can still envision him pulling out the envelopes that he and my mother kept in a fireproof safe under their bed – just one step up from hiding it between the mattresses. They had an envelope for taxes, heating oil, insurance, Christmas, and anything else they felt could come their way.

I would often accompany him to the bank on payday when he would cash his check and ask for small bills. We would then go home to allocate the cash into the necessary envelopes. As a custodian, he never had much excess, but he would always make sure we had money to pay the monthly bills and extra set aside to cover any unforeseen emergencies.

He wouldn’t buy anything before doing his research or trying to find a lower-cost alternative. He knew how hard he worked for his money and, as a result, he did everything possible to keep it. He would’ve loved the idea of FIRE and I’m sorry he didn’t live long enough to enjoy my journey. Interestingly, his early lessons about simple living and frugality helped me get excited about such a lifestyle.

Related: The ORIGINAL Tiny House

Lessons In Life

never-give-up

NEVER! Ever!

The man I remember taught me these most important life lessons:

• Slow down
  • Most things aren’t emergencies and most things don’t require immediate attention
  • Don’t allow things to stress you out – it solves nothing
  • Don’t allow people to use you or take you for granted
  • And never, NEVER let anything stand in the way of a good night’s sleep
  • And, always eat some ice cream

My father lived to be 90 years old and, ironically, he was never old. Up until the morning he died, he lived each day as if he had another 90 years in front of him. A week before he died, he asked me to help him stand up and walk around so he could get stronger and get back to normal. He was a fighter. He was THAT frog.

Related: Why We Love Being At Home

Lessons From The Grave

bud-1

My dad and I on my 2nd birthday

My father passed away on the morning of Christmas Eve in 2006. He was in a nursing home and I was the only person with him. The nurses told us we had a few days before he would fade into eternity – they were wrong. My mother left the faciity to run a few errands and pick up family members for a final farewell. I stayed with him for a few minutes before I noticed his breathing starting to slow. I panicked. I went for the buzzer to call the nursing staff, and then, I stopped. I stopped and thought about how he would want to pass away. Would he want it to happen with a flurry of strangers hovering over him checking his vitals, or would he want it to be simple and quiet with me holding his hand, whispering in his ear, and stroking his head? The answer was easy, and that is how he exited his 90 years of life on earth and breathed new vitality into mine.

After his death, I started my long trek out of the darkest point in my life.

I painted on canvases, I recited poems, I danced.

I took pictures of the church where he had worked as a custodian and had them framed. I hung them, along with the hammer he used in his workshed, on the stark wall of my empty apartment. Anytime I needed inspiration to keep moving forward, I glanced at his memorial hanging on the wall and I reminded myself that he is still with me and teaching me how to live.

His lessons are in my being and I am passing them along to my daughter. Sadly, he passed away a few years before my daughter was born. She will never know her Pap Pap in the flesh, but she will learn what he would’ve taught her, through me. I celebrate his life by living mine with the principles he instilled in me.

The peope we surround ourselves with, relatives or not, influence the nature of our being. We incorporate their habits and thoughts into our own. I am proud to have had a father who lived simply and lived fully.

bud-3

Memorial to a great man

I am far from perfect. I made mistakes. I stayed in the wrong relationships for way too long. I spent money that I should’ve invested. And I didn’t realize the gravity of those mistakes until a significant amount of time had passed. Today, I’m certain my dad would be proud to see the person I have become, despite those mistakes. Besides, he had mistakes of his own. We all do.

Today I sit here with a master’s degree, a high-paying career, and a wonderful family. It took me some time to get it right, but by incorporating my father’s way of living into my life after his death, I was able to create a satisfying path of my own. For that, I am thankful. His hammer still hangs in our family room, and we still use it. It is a constant reminder of the life he lived and the way in which I continue to construct mine.

Dad,

If the communication happens to go both ways, I want you to know this:

I will never say I can’t do something.

I will never say I’m too old.

I will never force myself to stay up late when I’m tired.

And, I will always have some ice cream.

Do you have a lost loved one who continues to touch your life and teach you lessons? I would love to hear from each and every one of my readers. Tell me about your special someone in the comments. Let’s celebrate their life!

Want More Pics?

We have sporadic pics throughout the site, but if you want fun daily updates follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram!

See also:

ember

Mad Money Cat celebrates her lost friend, Bailey Gato Every. Single. Day.

As always, Mad Money Cat encourages you to SPREAD THE LOVE by using the super convenient social media buttons below! There’s a “MEOW” in it for you 😉

• Matt Spillar @ Spills Spot May 14, 2017, 7:04 pm

Very touching tribute, thanks for sharing your story.

• Mad Money Monster May 14, 2017, 7:05 pm

Thanks so much!

• Mrs. Groovy May 14, 2017, 8:18 am

What a lovely tribute and beautifully written! I honestly feel as if I know your dad.

I’m sorry for your loss. And I’m sorry I missed this post but very appreciative that Ty at GRQ featured it today.

• Mad Money Monster May 14, 2017, 3:26 pm

Thanks so much. I really was a fun post to write. 🙂

• FinancePatriot Apr 12, 2017, 4:11 pm

First, I am terribly sorry for your loss. My dad passed away at 57, in 1994. However, he was and is definitely my hero.

• John DiRico (@Wealth_in_Words) Mar 7, 2017, 7:28 am

Well written story about your father’s life and impact! So sorry for your loss. But its obvious he is still making an impact in this world 🙂 Similarly, I reflected on some shared financial lessons I learned from my late mother in a post wrote last year.

• Mad Money Monster Mar 7, 2017, 9:28 am

This is great! Thanks for sharing. I’ll head over right now to check it out!

• rhythminlife Mar 6, 2017, 9:54 pm

You got me all crying my dear. Thank you so much for sharing your story and most definitely life lessons with tons of wisdom.💞

• Mad Money Monster Mar 7, 2017, 9:27 am

Awe! I didn’t mean to make anyone cry. It was actually really fun to write. Thanks for taking the time to read it!

• rhythminlife Mar 7, 2017, 9:45 am

I know it is beautiful and fun to write. I lost my mom at the age of 3. I am OK talking about it or perhaps writing about it. It’s still amazing when I read a story so deep and so real. Life in it’s raw form. Life and the simple things that make us smile.💞💞💞

• Mad Money Monster Mar 7, 2017, 10:16 am

Oh wow…so sorry for your loss. Thank you for your kind words.

• rhythminlife Mar 7, 2017, 11:56 am

Thank you for your bold writing. We absolutely following your work!!

• Mad Money Monster Mar 7, 2017, 2:24 pm

Thank you so much! It’s wonderful to get that kind of feedback 🙂

• Max Your Freedom Mar 6, 2017, 7:31 pm

Sounds like your father left a great legacy behind, this was a touching tribute. Thanks for sharing!

• Dollar Habits Mar 6, 2017, 7:02 pm

This was really moving to read. Thank you for sharing. It sounds like your dad was an awesome guy who knew what was important in life. I hope I have as much impact on my kids when they are grown as your dad had on you.

• Mad Money Monster Mar 7, 2017, 9:26 am

He was pretty cool. I hope I have such an impact on my daughter. I guess I’ll never know. Haha.

• FullTimeFinance Mar 6, 2017, 6:25 pm

Thanks for sharing. It sounds like your father had a very positive impact on your life. We can learn alot from those who came before us. There are very few new problems in this world, just new tools to help you along the way.

• Smart Provisions Mar 6, 2017, 2:24 pm

Thanks for sharing your story, MMM. It was very beautiful and touching. Your dad would be proud.

• Mad Money Monster Mar 6, 2017, 3:39 pm

I think he would have LOVED the FIRE movement. Too bad he missed out on watching my journey. 🙂

• Jennifer Connolly Mar 6, 2017, 12:10 pm

A beautifully written story! Your father sounded like a wonderful man. How blessed you are to have had such a great role model in your life.

• Mad Money Monster Mar 6, 2017, 3:38 pm

He was great. But we all have great people in our lives. I’m sure you could say the same about a loved one you lost 🙂

• Dan Palmer Mar 6, 2017, 11:02 am

That’s a great tribute to what sounds like a great guy! Thanks for sharing these lessons and memories!

• less4success Mar 6, 2017, 10:45 am

Very inspirational story. I’m sure he’s proud that you took his positive example and applied it to improving your own life. I can’t imagine anything being more rewarding than that.

It’s amazing how health scares and deaths in the family bring life into sharp relief, allowing you to reassess what’s important.

• Ryan - JustAnotherDollar Mar 6, 2017, 10:12 am

Such an amazing story. Thanks for sharing, this will certainly help me to pay more attention to my own parents. There are so many lessons to be learned if we just swallow our pride and admit we don’t always know everything. It sounds like you have incorporated a lot of what he taught you and are living a life he would be proud of.

• Mad Money Monster Mar 6, 2017, 11:40 am

Hindsight is always 20/20. Appreciating them while they’re here is key. But you’re right, sometimes pride does get in the way 😉

• Route To Retire Mar 6, 2017, 9:44 am

So sorry to hear about your father. Mine died when I was in the first grade. Even though both events were a long time ago, you don’t forget.

It’s cool to hear about some of the memories you had. It’s weird that I still remember some of the good times with my dad even though I was so young.

I’m sure your father would be very proud of what you’ve done with your life!

— Jim

• Mad Money Monster Mar 6, 2017, 11:39 am

It is amazing at how they continue to touch our lives even after death. I’m sorry you lost your father so young. I can’t imagine that was easy. At least you were old enough to still carry fond memories of him.

• Kate Mar 6, 2017, 8:49 am

This is such a touching post. Thanks for being willing to share this with us.

I’ve always had a great relationship with my parents but it’s been only recently that I appreciate how they’ve approached life. Wish I could have adopted their frugal mindset so much earlier!

• Mad Money Monster Mar 6, 2017, 9:11 am

Thanks 🙂 It was fun to write. It’s amazing how much people touch our lives in ways we don’t always realize.

• divmeup Mar 6, 2017, 8:39 am

Thanks for sharing

very touching and humbling.

• Erik @ The Mastermind Within Mar 6, 2017, 7:11 am

Thanks for sharing your story MMM – it definitely touched my heart. Your dad seemed to be a no-nonsense gentleman who cared deeply about his family and work. I’m sure he is proud of you for your accomplishments: you are on the path to financial freedom!

• Mad Money Monster Mar 6, 2017, 7:55 am

Thanks! It was fun to write. I’m sure he would be blown away by the FIRE movement! 🙂