Who’s Still Kicking @$$ And Taking Names in 2017?

We’re closing in on the beginning of another new month in 2017, so I thought I’d write a post to talk about those New Year’s Resolutions we all made. So, how are ya’ll doing?

Past Resolutions

My past resolutions, dating as far back as college, have been beneficial and easily attainable. One year, I decided I was going to take care of my CDs, don’t laugh, this was pre-MP3 era. I had finally had enough of rifling through CDs I had left on the floor of my car. I would get super excited to find what I was looking for just to discover it was all scratched and wouldn’t play. I finally resolved to not treat my property with disregard anymore. Alas, I was putting each CD back in its proper case and even making sure it was 100% straight (#OCD). I made this resolution and I kept it till this day.

coaster

Love our awesome coasters

Let’s see, there was another year that I resolved to get my hair cut only at the fancy shmancy place that served wine. Check! Kept that one, too. Now before anyone loses their minds because I’m confessing to spending hundreds of dollars a year on my hair at a luxurious spa, DON’T. Notice I said hundreds and not thousands. It is one indulgence I give to myself, and I only go a few times a year. I also don’t get highlights or haircuts that need constant upkeep. I spent way too many years of my adult life going to salons that didn’t quite make the cut (OMG, I’m on a roll) and I was tired of paying for something that didn’t satisfy my expectation. Although we’re quite the frugal family around here, I am also a true believer in getting what you pay for. And I will happily pay for quality over quantity any day of the week. Needless to say, this one carries on.

Yet another year I decided to introduce my taste buds to beer! Yes, I made it through college and quite a few years of my adult life without enjoying this fine beverage. How, you ask? Easy. I didn’t live on campus. I commuted, so I missed out on mixers, and beer pong, and everything else that makes college, college. I did get a good education, though. There’s something to be said for that. But the beer, I missed out on the beer. That year I imbibed a plethora of craft beers until I found a few that I really enjoyed. I must say, I can’t get enough of the cool labels and trendy names that adorn some of these fine liquids. I’m such a girl. Cheers!

Last year, I resolved to have a frugal music movement. I spent the majority of my childhood and young adulthood listening to substandard music. I will spare you the embarrassing details. You’re welcome. Let’s just say I grew up in a top 40 household and I’m no stranger to boy bands or big hair bands. Yikes. Hence, I resolved to increase my musical awareness and appreciation. All last year I listened to the likes of David Bowie, Pink Floyd, The Doors, Radiohead, Nirvana, and on and on and on. It lasted. And I couldn’t be more happy that I made such a fun and influential resolution for myself. I did, however, underestimate the amount of good music I missed out on and the limited time available to embark on such a resolution over the course of only one year. It is safe to say that 2016 was the springboard for this lifelong resolution.

Related: A Frugal Music Movement

My 2017 New Year’s Resolution

ember-2

Mad Money Cat Offering Blog Advice

Aside from resolving to spend more time by the fireplace with Mad Money Cat, 2017 is the biggest year of all for me. I have made a goal to make this website more than just a personal blog that publishes a post here and there. I have resolved to turn this site into something just a little bit more.

Since its debut in 2015, I have been struggling a bit with the direction and finding my voice. As with every new venture, there is always a growth period and learning curve. Fortunately for all of us, I believe I am finally hitting a good groove and know where I want it to go. I hope you are all going to come along for the ride. If I have anything to do with it, and I kinda do, it’s going to be a wildly good time.

Related: How To Be A Financial Superstar in 2017

Progress

So far, so good! I have published a new, hopefully entertaining and enjoyable, post every single weekday in 2017. I am hoping this trend continues as I am working my butt to the bone. Ha! God, if only that could happen. 🙂 I have focused a lot of energy into Mad Money Monster so far this year and believe I have come to a cross roads in terms of audience reach. We’ve been highlighted on several high-profile financial websites, partook in The #GivingCards Project, participated in 2 podcast interviews, and became a member of the AOL Finance Collective. Not too shabby for just a few weeks.

I recently read that forming a new habit (or keeping a resolution) takes 66 days. This is quite a jump from the formerly accepted 21 day projection. Either way, it takes quite a long time to do something before its committed to your lifestyle and routine. We’re currently 48 days into the new year; do you know where your resolutions are? Or haven’t you started one yet? Just in case you need a reminder or a little kick in the pants, resolutions aren’t just for the beginning of a new year. You can start a resolution at any point, on any day, at any hour that you choose. And, there is no time like the present.

Oh, and just in case you missed it, Mad Money Monster was on the Mo’ Money Podcast yesterday. Take a listen here!

So, let us have it! What were your resolutions and have you kept up? If so, tell us how you did it. If not, why not? We want to hear from every single one of you.

Related: Friday Favorites

ember

Mad Money Cat doesn’t do resolutions. She’s already awesome.

As always, Mad Money Cat encourages you to read Our Story and use the super convenient social media buttons to spread the LOVE!

Connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram!  You can also Sign Up for Emails so you know exactly when we hit PUBLISH! And don’t forget to check out our Recommended Page!

Feature Image: Jason Droege Photography (jd_visualz on Instagram) – Stunning natural photographs of  Lancaster County.

Lisa is the creator and resident writer at Mad Money Monster. She's a mother, scientist, and financial guru on a mission to save Generation X from working until they die!

Mad Money Monster
  • Kate @ Making it Rain Feb 19, 2017, 9:25 pm

Holy blog posts, Batman…that is mindblowing! Congrats! My main New Year’s resolution (with the exception of my financial goals) is a bit ridiculous, cause I am basically a giant child, but I had to cut myself off from candy in 2017 haha. I am addicted to any kind of sour, gummy deliciousness. I have done pretty well so far (except for one day I found a secret stashed bag…I had one candy and threw the rest in the garbage…I seriously have a problem :|)

Can’t wait to keep following along on your blog adventures!

• Mad Money Monster Feb 19, 2017, 9:33 pm

Haha…thanks for the encouragement! I’m really trying my best to keep it up. It’s really tough.

I’m not a big sweets person but I am pretty much addicted to McDonald’s 🙂 So I feel your pain.

Thanks for following along and good luck!

• independenceendeavor Feb 19, 2017, 12:14 pm

Our 2017 resolutions were to get control of our finances and focus on our health. We have done excellent with the finances but nothing about our health.

Love your blog !

• Mad Money Monster Feb 19, 2017, 1:42 pm

Thanks for the compliment! Awesome work on your finances in 2017. As far health goes…there are still 10 months to go. No time like the present 🙂

• Go Finance Yourself Feb 19, 2017, 11:05 am

Wow, posting every day in 2017 so far is quite an achievement. Keep it up! I’m still on track with my goals for 2017. Two of those are to post 100 posts on my blog and to make it to the gym at least 3 times a week. Almost 2 months down and 10 to go! As this is the first full year of my blog this is the first time I’ve published yearly goals for everyone to see. I’ve already noticed the difference it makes. Even though I don’t know any of my followers personally, I still know I’ll have to confess on my blog if I don’t meet my goals. Great way to hold myself accountable!

• Mad Money Monster Feb 19, 2017, 1:41 pm

Blogging definitely holds us accountable and makes it easier to reach our goals! Aside from producing original content and entertaining other people, staying on task is a fantastic side benefit. Two thumbs up on your progress!

• thedividebyzero Feb 19, 2017, 3:30 am

Wow… very impressed, a neatly arranged CD collection AND a blog post every day! 🙂

My resolution is to think less about the future and focus more on the now. The one exception I allow is the time I put into creating new posts, which invariably revolve around the plan we have a-brewin’.

Just found your blog and will be following. Keep up the good work.

– Zero

• Mad Money Monster Feb 19, 2017, 8:14 am

Thanks so much! Yes, I am also impressed with my CD/DVD collection these days. Haha. Although, they are just sitting around on shelves with the advent of digital stuff. But hey – they’re there and neat as a pin.

Publishing a new post is challenging, especially with a husband, a kid, 2 dogs, and 2 cats, oh, and my full-time job – BUT, I’m doing it! Of course I’m sitting here typing this with a massive sore throat. Hmm…correlation? I say YES. 🙂

Thanks for stopping by! I’ll head on over to your site, too!

• Duncan's Dividends Feb 17, 2017, 8:15 pm

Lol love the resolutions both now and in the past. I didn’t start New Years with any resolutions. I’m that guy that tries to start something now rather than wait for the New Years excuse. It’s why I detest the gym the first two months of the year. It’s only just now quieting down to normal levels. I did commit to blogging starting this week and have enjoyed it immensely. We’ll have to see how it takes but it’s fun and it will keep me accountable to keep investing and increasing my passive income.

• Mad Money Monster Feb 18, 2017, 9:59 am

Congrats on starting your blog! It’s fun and completely rewarding. It definitely helps to keep you on task, too.

I also know what you mean about the gym. January is the worst. I actually cancelled my membership and, these days, I just work out at home. It saves me time and money. I look forward to following along on your financial journey!

• MustardSeedMoney Feb 17, 2017, 5:21 pm

Two of my biggest goals for 2017 were to get a new job, which I start in March and then to exercise 4x a week. I leave in about 10 minutes for my fourth boot camp of the week 🙂 So I am doing really well this year. I might look to update some of my goals for 2017 🙂

• Mad Money Monster Feb 18, 2017, 9:56 am

That is fantastic! Nice work on keeping up with the goals, and congrats on the new job. New year = totally new you. Two thumbs up 🙂

• Kyle Feb 17, 2017, 1:37 pm

You’ve done some awesome work with the blog this year! I’m glad I found you, and happy to be along for the ride 😊

• Mad Money Monster Feb 17, 2017, 2:51 pm

And I’m glad you’re along for the ride. I look forward to reading more of your writing this year, as well 🙂

• Matt @ The Resume Gap Feb 17, 2017, 10:29 am

Your efforts with the blog have been noticeable. I hope you’ll keep it up! 🙂

• Mad Money Monster Feb 17, 2017, 12:44 pm

Thanks! Day 48 of 66…I think I can, I think I can. 🙂 Hope you guys are enjoying your travels so far this year!

• MrFireStation Feb 17, 2017, 9:50 am

It sounds like you’ve pick some really cool resolutions over the years. I am trying to replace iTunes with Spotify this year and keep losing some weight. I’m happy to say I’ve been better with the latter than former, so far.

• Mad Money Monster Feb 17, 2017, 12:43 pm

Congrats on making resolution progress this year! I hear Spotify (no pun intended) is awesome. I’m still using iTunes but always looking to upgrade to something better. As far as my resolutions – if I don’t make them fun and enjoyable, I’ll never keep up. 🙂

• MrFireStation Feb 17, 2017, 8:56 pm

The problem with Spotify is that you generally have to play it thru Bluetooth to use it in the car or with your home stereo. I’m not a big fan of that connection, but the music selection is great.

• Kate Feb 17, 2017, 9:10 am

I’m super impressed that you’ve been posting every day! And I’m definitely going to check out the podcast.

I don’t do resolutions, since I tend to get excited about something and then abruptly quit it. But I can help with your music resolution: If you use the I Heart Radio app, be sure to check out 89.3 The Current. It’s my favorite station and every day I hear something new.

• Mad Money Monster Feb 17, 2017, 12:39 pm

Haha..I’m impressed that I’ve been posting every day, too. I really hope I can keep it up! Thanks for the music resolution tip! There is so much good stuff out there it’s really hard to stay on top of it.

• Full Time Finance Feb 17, 2017, 8:59 am

Mine are a bit more sedate but all are on track. We had a plan for one International and two domestic travel hacked trips this year. I’m commenting from a plane returning from the international one as we speak. Numbers are also looking good so far.

• Mad Money Monster Feb 17, 2017, 12:37 pm

Wow! Safe travels. You might be my very first comment from the air. #awesome Travel-hacked trips would be so cool. You must keep us all up-to-date on that. As for mine, if I don’t make them fun and easily attainable, I would probably fail. And, no one likes to fail 🙂

• The Green Swan Feb 17, 2017, 7:40 am

You are kicking some ass! Great work. I’ve certainly enjoyed following your blog the last few months and can tell you put a lot into it. And btw, you have some fun new year’s resolutions… Mine now sound really boring! 🙂

But yes my resolutions are still going strong. A challenge from Mr Money Mustache resulted in me vowing to climb the 13 stories in my office building to where my office is everyday… Not easy but I’ve done it everyday still!

• Mad Money Monster Feb 17, 2017, 8:01 am

Thanks so much! That is an awesome challenge you set for yourself. And to be still going strong each day means it’s pretty much part of who you are now. Congrats!