Mommy & Me Yoga. Namaste.

This is a story of how I turned my lower back pain into precious mommy and me time.  And, go!  For years, I have experienced lower back pain.  I don’t quite know the reason.  It does, however, seem to get better when I am working out on a regular basis.  Unfortunately, since winter hit, I have not been engaging in routine exercise.  And…cue the lower back pain.

Google Search:  Lower Back Pain Remedy

Then one day (two weeks ago), I fired up the good ole internet and asked the all-knowing Google how to remedy lower back pain.  Lo and behold, I was directed towards the healing power of yoga.  Yoga?!  I have never done yoga before!  It sounded so grown up.  But, I was willing to give anything a go.  Aside from not currently getting as much exercise as I’d like to, there was also (I believe) the cumulative effect of sitting at a desk with poor posture for longer than I’d like to admit.  My lower back was finally saying, “No More”!

After I allowed the idea of yoga to sink into my head, I quickly did a secondary search for yoga for beginners.  As you can imagine, I was inundated with a gazillion pages.  I picked the first few and thought I’d try it out.

That evening I was setting up shop in the bedroom while Mini Monster was brushing her teeth and getting her PJs on.  I non-nonchalantly asked if she would want to join me to do some yoga poses.  She looked at me like I was crazy (she’s 6, so that happens a lot), and then quickly agreed.

Downward Facing Dog

There were a total of five poses on our beginner slate.  We were doing okay.  She was loving it.  And shockingly, I was feeling a bit of relief from just a few quick poses.  Ahh, yes, we finally came to the downward facing dog pose.  Mini was ecstatic, exclaiming excitedly that she knows this one!  She proceeded to throw herself over onto all fours while laughing hysterically and only holding the pose for a millisecond.  That was it.  We were hooked!

I can’t tell you how wonderful this time is for the two of us.  It easily fits into our FIRE goals because we spend NO money.  We get to bond as mother and daughter by doing something special that is just between us.  AND, my lower back feels fabulous!

Namaste

Amid the laughter and falling over and nearly losing the contents of my bladder, we had a wonderful time, and I even got a few relaxing moments to actually stretch out my lower back.  My back hasn’t felt this good since high school!  This has quickly become a nightly routine for Mini and Mommy 🙂  We simply pick a few poses, put on some yoga music, and go to town.  Namaste!

Have you ever turned a negative into a positive?

Bailey Gato BW

MMC – Minimal Style

As always, Mad Money Cat encourages you to read Our Story and use the super convenient social media buttons to spread the LOVE!  Connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram!  You can also Sign Up For Emails so you know exactly when we hit PUBLISH!

• Penny Feb 2, 2017, 10:21 am

Cute story 🙂 Plus, she’s also learning to incorporate fitness in her life early on. I have a friend who got her young daughter 1lb weights and they would do work-out videos together. Kids love to take part. Namaste.

• Mad Money Monster Feb 2, 2017, 10:28 am

Thanks! I’ve noticed kids just love spending time with their parents – regardless of the activity. My little girl would do Yoga all day long if it meant we were doing it together. Makes my heart melt 🙂

• Generation YRA Jan 30, 2016, 2:40 pm

This is lovely! I can’t wait to incorporate Mommy & Me activities once we begin to grow our family. 🙂 I am so happy to hear that yoga is bringing relief to your lower back pain. I grew up training in dance, so I like to stretch incredibly often! It helps relieve pain and allows me to release those toxins, I guess you could say. I have not dabbled in yoga too much, but I do love at home pilates work outs!

• Mad Money Monster Feb 1, 2016, 11:45 am

We are definitely amateurs when it comes to yoga. But, I love having this time with her. We will always remember doing weird0 poses on the floor in the bedroom and being so silly that we were falling over. Now and then I even get a good stretch in there. Two birds with one stone 🙂

• Mark Jan 27, 2016, 10:15 am

Check out your local library. I bet they have many Yoga videos you can take out.

• Harmony Smith (@CMK_Harmony) Jan 26, 2016, 11:34 am

What a great idea! With all the hustling to pay off debt, I have neglected exercise for quite some time. However, one of my goals for 2016 is to be more-balanced now, instead of just waiting for a time when we have increased freedom in the future. I bet my little Tornado (3 years old) would love to do some yoga poses with me. Thanks for the inspiration 🙂

• Kalie @ Pretend to Be Poor Jan 25, 2016, 12:37 pm

I also struggle with lower back pain and finding free exercise options that accommodate 2 children. I have been trying to incorporate some Pilates. I’m glad you found such a good solution!

• Mad Money Monster Jan 25, 2016, 5:22 pm

It’s the best thing I’ve ever done for the pain. I’ve had massages in the past (gifts, of course 😉 but nothing beats regular exercise or yoga!

• Mortimer Jan 25, 2016, 9:31 am

So wonderful! Kids are the best for doing yoga with. And there are tons and tons of free yoga resources online. The great thing about yoga is that it is largely something your own body teaches you how to do. Teachers can help you pay more attention and are extremely helpful but ultimately it’s up to you. Kids are way more in tune with themselves to begin with. And laughter is the best part! There are way too many super serious struggle through the pain exercise routines out there–yoga is about smiling through it. What better lesson could you teach your kids than to meet adversity with a smile? Cheers to you!

• Mad Money Monster Jan 25, 2016, 5:21 pm

Exactly! We are truly having a blast. It’s free, it’s bonding time, and it’s really helping my back. Win. Win. Win. 🙂

• Howto$tuffYourPig Jan 25, 2016, 6:53 am

I will need to try this and see if it helps. Just had an MRI on my back and still waiting for the results. Thank you for this informative post